Are you excited yet?
2018 is right around the corner and I for one can’t wait ….
As you are preparing may I suggest 7 lessons for a brighter 2018?
The bible story reflection is from Luke 17:11-19 http://bible.com/111/luk.17.11-19.niv :
“Now on his way to Jerusalem, Jesus traveled along the border between Samaria and Galilee. As he was going into a village, ten men who had leprosy met him. They stood at a distance and called out in a loud voice, “Jesus, Master, have pity on us!” When he saw them, he said, “Go, show yourselves to the priests.” And as they went, they were cleansed. One of them, when he saw he was healed, came back, praising God in a loud voice. He threw himself at Jesusʼ feet and thanked him—and he was a Samaritan. Jesus asked, “Were not all ten cleansed? Where are the other nine? Has no one returned to give praise to God except this foreigner?” Then he said to him, “Rise and go; your faith has made you well.””
1. Don’t wait to give thanks. We condition ourselves and hearts in this by constantly giving thanks. So we create an attitude of thankfulness.
2. Be the minority. Out of 10 only 1 came back … They were together as a group. Traveling as a group. They would have all noticed their healing. But only 1 chose to do the right thing and give thanks to the one who healed him. Be the minority and just do the right thing.
3. Don’t stall your blessing. The bible doesn’t say what happened to the other 9 but for the 1 who came back he was made well. Wonder what happened to the other 9….. When someone does something good for you, be thankful … Even when they hate you!
4. We serve an amazing God. They didn’t even show themselves to the priest and was healed… No it happened the bible says as they were on their way… Worship! Worship! Worship! Live a daily life of worship, reading God’s word and praying.
5. When you give thanks to God it should not only be under the quiet. The word says that he praised God in a loud voice and threw himself down at Jesus’ feet. Are you even thankful enough to praise God like that? Are you spreading the good news? How about committing to sharing your love for Christ every opportunity you get?
6. Be humble. Pride allows us to stay ungrateful and unwilling to give thanks where it is due. It is a sin that the Lord detests. Let’s get rid of this in the new year!
7. God loves everyone. It was the foreigner who gave thanks and praise. The Samaritan who was despised by the Jews and the religious leaders of the land. God doesn’t call us to religion. He calls us to live in a close and abiding relationship with him. Focus on your relationship with Christ. How can you get deeper in HIM? Read, study, pray, fast and worship. And love…. Love Christ and all of HIS creation.
Food for thought: For 2018 don’t take the easy way out… Pray over these seven things and seek Go’s guidance.
Prayer: Heavenly Father, holy is your name. Forgive us for our enjoyment of the frivolities of life and our desire for no sacrifice. We know that sacrifice brings peace, love and goodness. As we move in to 2018 may we live the greatest command to love God with all of our hearts and minds, and the second commandment to love others.
May God’s grace, mercy and peace be with you.