Just recently we celebrated Valentine’s Day…
The reactions and behaviors of persons, even weeks after Valentine’s Day has prompted me to write…
It was a day that some looked forward to. For others, not so much.
A very popular celebration in the Americas, Valentine’s Day is widely known as the day you shower extra love to your partner or as some say, a commercial gimmick to just get you to spend more money.
For me, I am all for showing “extra love”, but as a single woman observing friends, social media posts and even my fellow saints on Valentine’s Day, I came to the conclusion that the core of a person’s disappointment may be rooted in the way they think and love themselves.
For example, a person that loved themselves unconditionally:
- Wouldn’t NEED flowers, chocolates or gifts on Valentine’s day from their partner
- Wouldn’t NEED affirmation that they are special because they live in God’s truth.
- Would in fact LIVE a life of constant giving and loving others
If you don’t think that you hit the mark, constantly remind yourself of these three things:
1) You were created by God and made in HIS own image. Here are some scriptures to encourage you:
2) You are unique. Stop looking at others and wanting what they have.
1 Peter 2:9, 4:10-11
Psalm 139:14, 17-18
3) Fully grasp and understand the great love that God has for you. I don’t know about you, but I would not be the first person to raise my hands to die for people I don’t even know and who continue to commit sins without a care.
1 John 4:10
And to clarify, there is always a balance. You are to love yourself but not be lovers of yourselves …the bible warns us of this. 2 Timothy 3:1-2
I always say try these three question test:
- Do you prefer yourself over others?
- Do you prefer to take care of yourself first before others?
- Are you very interested in money or materials over people? (i.e. you would prefer to buy that new pair of shoes rather than tithe or give the money to charity)
If you answered yes, then seek God in prayer. Only HE can work within you to transform you.
Food for thought: Even if you don’t get gifts, cards, flowers, or sweet words… love others and give. Even if you don’t have that special person to talk to … love yourself, others and give. Even if you are all alone… know that God loves you and he will never leave nor forsake you.
Prayer: Father, your love has no boundaries and restrictions. You know all of our needs, desires and wants. Teach us how to be content and live with the fact that YOU Father is all that we need and that is enough. Guide us to show love and care for others to bring glory to your Kingdom. In Jesus name. Amen
May God’s grace, peace and love be with you.