I would like to start with a shout out to all the pastors out there who are sowing seeds, harvesting, preaching and living out the word of God.
I love my pastor. A man of wisdom, suave moves, humour and passion for Christ. He is also a straight shooter (meaning he is very direct and honest) and his love for Christ and passion for his congregation means that he doesn’t believe in coddling us. He wants to ensure we hear the truth. And boy was he on fire today at Church.
For the past few weeks he has been encouraging us in different ways to live our best life. Key theme messages have been: Being content, Grace and Wisdom. Each sermon building on the previous, has left me not only with lots of notes but quite a bit of reflection.
When you think of your best life, what are the top two things that pop in your mind? Need money, get a job, better job, want a spouse, kids, travel around the world, debt free etc. sounds familiar?
Many think their best life can be gained in wealth, higher status/ position or other material gain. A majority of you would not have mentioned God first.
Think on that!
God created us to live our best life.
We were not created for retirement, lay down all day, focus and priority on self or to amass great wealth for personal gain.
The bible clearly outlines for us our best life.
Follow Jesus life example. Living our best life is to live the Jesus life.
As children of God who has the Holy Spirit dwelling within us, we are to have the mind of Christ and as such living in such a way that exemplified who Christ is to us.
The challenge we received from my pastor is to reflect on whether we could state this statement to anyone: Follow me as I follow Christ. How easy is it for you to say that? For me it is not so easy. So I know I need to seek God’s grace, wisdom and strength to get to where he needs me.
To summarize living your best life:
1. Forget your past. God’s grace allows us to walk in our purpose.
2. Seek Christ first. There can be no other ‘god’ that conflicts with the attention and time you need to give to God.
3. Get in the Word (Bible). In order to understand how to live your best life you need to continually be in the word.
4. Jesus is your best example. Read the gospels to understand the life of Jesus. Start with Luke and then Matthew.
5. Serve. Use every opportunity to serve in your home, work, church and local community. The beauty and blessing of being a servant to others and building relationships is key to showing “Christ in us”.
6. Share and be accountable to each other. As you grow and learn take the time out to share your faith and the Word of God with others. This could be through small actions such as mentoring younger folks or larger like teaching a bible study. Be accountable for the Word that is preached or make accountable those who try to preach without the Word of God. Preserve the holiness of the Word.
7. Trust God. Trust HIM to guide, protect and give you all the power you need to live your best life.
I now leave you with one of my favorite verses from Paul which concludes this piece well for us:
“I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.” Galatians 2:20
Food for thought: What if God was all powerful in your life? What an amazing life you would live. Give God all the glory and see what great things HE will do in your life.
Prayer: Father, your word declares that the beginning of wisdom is the fear of God. Sovereign Lord, forgive us our foolish pride and desire of independence from you. May our reverence for you be not an act but one of worship and from the heart. Thank you for your written word and the guidance it richly provides. Grant your people mercy, grace, wisdom and strength to live our lives that is pleasing to you and glorify your holy name. In Jesus name. Amen
God’s grace, peace and love be with you.